Sunday, May 18, 2014

Listening to the Voice of the Shepherd

In the book of 2 Chronicles, for every king of Judah there's a short summary of the essence of his life. For example, God had the following to say about King Amaziah: And he did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, yet not with a whole heart (2 Chronicles 25:2).  This got me to thinking, if God were to write a chapter at the end of my life, what would I like it Him to say?

I prayed about this today. When my time is finished on this planet, here's what I'd like Jesus to say about me. "He listened to My voice all the days of his life and did what was right in My eyes. Well done My good and faithful servant. My pleasure rests on you."   

Have you ever thought about what you'd like God to say about you at the end of your life?

Listening to the Voice of the Master

The words of the Meditational Worship song toward the end of this post begins by expressing this heartfelt desire: "When my life is through, Lord I hope that You will be pleased with me. 

Listening to the voice of the Shepherd is an important facet of being a disciple of Christ. The first half of Isaiah 55:3 puts it this way: Come to Me with your ears wide open. Listen, for the life of your soul is at stake.

Listening to the Master is the ultimate act of dependance. Listening implies that you don't really trust that your own understanding of life will take you to the places God wants you to go. Listening is putting shoe leather to Proverbs 3:5-6 by trusting the Lord with every fiber of your being:
Place your trust in the Eternal; rely on Him completely; never depend upon your own ideas and inventions (The Voice).

Listening to God Exercise 

  1. Take out a blank sheet of paper to record the things God brings to you as you work your way through this listening exercise. If you lead a small group of some kind, you may want to listen to God together working through this exercise as a small group community.
  2. Begin by preparing your heart for a time of listening by praying through the Listening to God Guidelines
  3. Then listen to God as you view and listen to the two songs that are part of the below "Listening to God Worship Presentation." Ask Jesus, what are You seeking to say to me through this worship presentation?
  4. If per chance nothing comes to you, then ask Him one of the two following questions: 
  • Is there something else You want to communicate to me during this time? -Or- 
  • Is there something blocking my ability to hear from You today? 
Listening to God Worship Presentation
http://youtu.be/SeyoTOkrL38
As always, I'd love to hear from you. You can leave your comment below or drop a note to L2G.Forum@gmail.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment