Sunday, August 10, 2014

An Awakening


As I looked out the window during my time alone with God this morning there was a steady breeze blowing among the trees. I prayed, Jesus, I want to look up and out of myself … to look up and out to You as the Creator of the wind, the clouds, and the trees.  

As I observed the wind blowing in the trees I was reminded of Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus in John Chapter 3. I paged through my Bible to find Jesus speaking in verse 6, Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives new life from heaven. 

Then in verse 8 Jesus said, Just as you can hear the wind but you can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the spirit. 

And so I prayed, Come Holy Spirit and be pleased to stir and ignite my heart, illuminate my mind, and fill me full to overflowing this morning. Though I prayed earnestly, I didn’t sense much real movement in my heart. I experienced verse 6 … that in and of myself, I wasn't able to manufacture the new life of heaven.

Then, a verse I memorized years ago came to mind: May the very God of hope fill you with all joy and peace believing so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit (Romans 15:13). 

Then, In our hearts Lord, in this nation, awakening. Holy Spirit, we desire, awakening! For You and You alone, awake my soul, awake my soul and sing. For the world You love, Your will be done. Let Your will be done in me. 

These are lyrics written by Rolf Lovland for a Hillsong of Australia worship song. Quickly I went to YouTube, found the song, and began to worship. I sensed my heart engaging in a fresh way with You, Holy Spirit.

AWAKENING by Hillsong
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=-AmvyGu1WeA
Like the rising sun that shines, from the darkness comes a light. I hear Your voice say
‘This is my awakening’ …

After my time of worship, I sensed God's encouragement to intercede. As I consider the tragic things going on around the world I ask You Father God to send awakening … first to Your people, but also to the nations who are so enshrouded in darkness. Send awakening to the Middle East, both to the people of Israel, to those who live in Gaza, and to Hamas. Awaken the people of Iraq, first the Christians who are fleeing for their lives … but also to the terrorists. Send awakening to the people of the United States. May this be our awakening!

No comments:

Post a Comment