Sunday, June 10, 2012

Post # 37 - The INNER WARFARE of the SOUL



Beloved, I implore you as aliens and strangers and exiles to abstain
from the sensual urges (the evil desires, the passions of the flesh, your lower nature) that wage war against the soul (1 Peter 2:11 AMP).
You and I are living in a war zone. A battle is raging deep within us. At times we are living in victory. All too often we fall prey to the enemy within. Peter warned us about it. The evil desires and lustful passions that reside deep within our fleshly nature are waging guerilla warfare against our very souls.
But this isn’t the whole picture. In actuality, the battle we’re engaged in is not a flesh and blood warfare. According to Paul it’s much more insidious than a physical battle:
For we are not wrestling with flesh and blood (contending only with physical opponents), but against the despotisms, against the powers, against the master spirits who are the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spirit forces of wickedness in the heavenly supernatural sphere (Ephesians 6:12 AMP).
In reality, the inner war we are fighting is being fought on three fronts: the world, the flesh, and the devil. To make matters worse, these three areas tend to feed off of one another. The prince of the power of this world is a fallen angel named Lucifer or Satan (Ephesians 2:2). This enemy of the soul seeks to conform us to his world system (Romans 12:2). He sends out his demonic agents to devour us (1 Peter 5:8 by whispering to us in much the same way he tempted Jesus in Matthew 4 He also appeals to us to give into our fleshly urges by bringing thoughts to us like, Did God really say not to love the world and the things it offers? He’s actually ripping you off. What the world offers is what will really make you happy and fulfilled.
Truth is that the truly abundant life is found in intimacy with Jesus (John 10:10).  The nearness of God is our good (Psalm 73:28).  Giving into sensual urges will only make us miserable.
Where are you at in the battle for your soul? Can I suggest setting aside a half hour to seek to listen to Jesus about your soul?
1.   First, pray through the Listening Prayer Guidelines to prepare your heart for a time of listening.
2.   Talk to Jesus about where you are at in the battle for your soul. Pour your heart out to Him (Psalm 62:8).
3.   Jesus sees you. He knows what you’re going through. The battles of your heart are something He deeply cares about. Ask Him the following question: Lord Jesus, what do You have to communicate with me about my battle? What do you want to say to encourage me in my walk with You? (Jot down the impressions He brings as a way of remembering His communication to you). 
Check out this video presentation on the inner warfare of the soul.

I’d love to hear about your listening and healing journey. Drop me your comment here or email me as the Blog Master (left side of the page).

2 comments:

  1. Since going through this study with you, I find not such a struggle with the world, the flesh and the devil as before. I think that the freedom I have found has really give me some greater freedom from these. I have been finding in my thoughts now that my struggles with the world, the flesh and the devil relate to not hearing from God the truth in my life that sets me free. The concept I relay to others is that for so long I have been stuck as a Christian not feeling I was growing much until God spoke to me. Now I am less bound to the world, the flesh, and the devil. Perhaps those signs of bondage and lack of growth with the everyday warfare in my face were signs I needed to listen to Him and needed to hear His truth? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To KTJ,

    Thanks for sharing your journey. I agree with your conclusion that "hearing from God" is the key new reality that has set you increasingly free from the world, the flesh, and the devil. Romans 12:2 says the essential element to breaking with the lies the world tells us is to to be "transformed" by having our mind and heart renewed (See Post #38). One way this "metamorphosis" of transformation will powerfully take place is when Jesus speaks to us in a personal life-giving way. Isaiah 55:3 in the 1996 version of the NLT says, "Come to Me with your ears wide open. Listen for the life of your soul is at stake." The power of God speaking is dramatic. The Message says the "Earth was a soup of nothingness, a bottomless emptiness, an inky blackness" until God spoke! Truth is HE spoke everything that we see out of nothingness into Being. God speaking personally to us is how we came to Christ. It's also how He sets us free (John 8:32).

    May you be enriched as you continue to listen to Him,
    Rusty

    ReplyDelete