V. A PERSONA OR MASK TO HIDE ALL OF THE ABOVE IN ADULTHOOD
POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE POLES
- Do I criticize or belittle myself to others?
- Do I try to manipulate how others judge me by lowering their expectations?
- Do I sometimes exaggerate how incompetent I am in the hope that others will be pleasantly surprised by my results?
- Why do I try to manipulate others’ perceptions and expectations?
- Why do their judgments matter to me? What am I afraid of?
- What do I fear would happen if others saw the reality of me?
- Where does this fear of being inadequate come from?
- How was I hurt?
- Can I let it go?
- Whenever I am tempted to run myself down before I’ve even done anything, I will now be more willing to let my results speak for themselves.
- Realistically, I now know that even if I am judged as less than adequate, that will not kill me. It need not even hurt me. I shall pay far less attention to others’ expectations and judgments.