Monday, December 15, 2014

But You Said "I Am"

"I AM" by Nichole Nordeman

 

The song "I Am" touches me very deeply. About a week ago, I fell asleep while listening to music through the ear buds on my cell phone. As I awoke, this song began playing as though it was mysteriously programed to begin the moment I awakened from sleep.

I've had "I Am" by Nichole Nordeman on my computer and phone for at least ten years, but it was as if I'd never heard it before. As I listened this time, I was overcome with deep emotion as I realized in a profoundly deep place in my heart that "I Am" has been present in every event of my life from before I was even conceived.

Later, I wrote in my journal, "You, as the Great I Am have been there watching over me ... holding out Your loving hand and seeking me, but I was not responding until after my twentieth birthday while I was stationed in Okinawa in the Army."

Even after coming to know You in Okinawa somewhere around Christmas of 1969, I've continued to search for something or someone to fill my inner void and bring completeness ... only to be let down again, and again, and again.

"But You said, I Am!"

The secret and hidden thoughts, intents, longings, and motivations of the human heart are extremely deep, profound, complex, and devious ... but You fully comprehend them all. You see through them, and love me without limits or conditions in spite of my persistent propensity to wander and drift.

I am blown away by the high privilege that is mine to be fully loved by the Great I Am.

"Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son ..." 1 John 4:10

No comments:

Post a Comment