Sunday, July 12, 2015

Humble Yourself

I spent some extended time with God on Saturday regarding why I was struggling in an area of desired spiritual growth. I was surprised by what came into my mind after I poured out my heart to the Father: “I dwell with the contrite and lowly of spirit … first, you need to humble yourself before Me.”
 
So I goggled "humble yourself" and discovered "Twelve Ways to Humble Yourself" by Janet Chismar on the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. I've linked it if you'd like to take a look.

But most helpful were several verses of scripture that had a transformational impact on my heart:

“Humble yourselves therefore beneath the mighty hand of God, so that at the right time He may set you on high” 1 Peter 5:6 Weymouth N.T.

“Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up” James 4:10 NIV.


"And it will be said, 'Build up, build up, prepare the way, remove every obstacle out of the way of My people.' For thus says the high and exalted One Who lives forever, whose name is Holy, 'I dwell on a high and holy place, and also with the contrite and lowly of spirit in order to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite'" Isaiah 57:14-15 NASB.

I also ran across several quotations that I inserted in the "Quotes of the Week" on the right side of my blog below.

"A man can counterfeit love, he can counterfeit faith, he can counterfeit hope and all the other graces, but it is very difficult to counterfeit humility." - D. L. Moody

"Grant, O Lord, that I may look for nothing, claim nothing; and that I may go through all the scenes of life, not seeking my own glory, but looking wholly unto you, and acting wholly for you." - John Wesley
O Lamb of God, who, both by your example and precept, instructed us to be meek and humble, give me grace throughout my whole life, in every thought, and word, and work, to imitate your meekness and humility. Mortify in me the whole body of pride; grant me to feel that I am nothing and have nothing, and that I deserve nothing but shame and contempt, but misery and punishment. Grant, O Lord, that I may look for nothing, claim nothing; and that I may go through all the scenes of life, not seeking my own glory, but looking wholly unto you, and acting wholly for you. - See more at: http://prayer.knowing-jesus.com/Prayers-for-Humility#sthash.7DZV1bpN.dpuf
O Lamb of God, who, both by your example and precept, instructed us to be meek and humble, give me grace throughout my whole life, in every thought, and word, and work, to imitate your meekness and humility. Mortify in me the whole body of pride; grant me to feel that I am nothing and have nothing, and that I deserve nothing but shame and contempt, but misery and punishment. Grant, O Lord, that I may look for nothing, claim nothing; and that I may go through all the scenes of life, not seeking my own glory, but looking wholly unto you, and acting wholly for you. - See more at: http://prayer.knowing-jesus.com/Prayers-for-Humility#sthash.7DZV1bpN.dpuf

2 comments:

  1. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing. I'm a self-help blog author and reading blogs is my hobby and I randomly found your blog. I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging endeavors. Please keep in touch with me in Twitter, @ipersuade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sridhar for what you said about the blog. Praying God's best over you, Rusty

    ReplyDelete